USGBC awards Katz Women's Hospital with LEED Platinum; Project is third certified in-patient hospital in the world
January 12, 2015 - Long Island
Completed in 2013, the 13-bed, 9,128 s/f unit consists of single private patient rooms, IT offices and support spaces, fully functioning nurseries, and nurse stations, constructed with mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, with hotel-like interiors. The cutting-edge design and construction were implemented using building materials and strategies that provide a maximum level of energy and water efficiency, indoor air quality, and overall sustainability. Green features include: concrete floors made from recycled ash, solar shades for cooling in the summer and retaining heat in the winter, LED night lights, and 50 percent less water use than is permitted by building codes.
This project was designed from day one with the intent of certification. The intent was to deliver the project with as little additional costs as deemed practical. Developing this project in a portion of a building that had recently received a new energy efficient faÃ§ade and air handling system helped to make that goal a reality.
Primary team members:
* Neil Rosen, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, CHFM, EDAC: North Shore LIJ Health System owner âˆ’ project directorâˆ’sustainable development vice chairman âˆ’ USGBC Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group.
* Ernest LaFemina, AIA, LEED AP: Axis Construction - senior project architect.
* Siuâˆ’Wan Elsie Low, LEED AP: North Shore LIJ Health System owner âˆ’ senior project manager.
* James May III, AIA, LEED AP: Francis Cauffman, formerly with Granary Associates - director of Healthcare.
* Daniel Cusick, RA: Stantec Architecture - project architect.
* Linda McNulty, LEED AP: Lizardos Engineering - consulting engineer.
* Frank Piccirillo, LEED AP BD+C: Axis Construction - senior project manager.
* Paul Meyer, PE, LEED AP, CEM: WSP Flack and Kurtz, formerly with Horizon Engineering - vice president âˆ’ commissioning.