REBNY: "New York Forever: A Celebration of Our City" - June 23
REBNY unveils new annual event: “New York Forever: A Celebration of Our City”
The Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY), one of the city’s leading real estate trade associations, unveiled its iconic annual gathering will enter its 126th year by taking an exciting new direction – one that will mark a departure from its black-tie history and deliver a night for industry leaders and guests from across the five boroughs.
REBNY’s brand-new annual event features a partnership with NY Forever, a non-profit organization working to recapture faith and pride in New York by organizing and motivating New Yorkers from every borough and generation to participate in the city’s civic rebirth.
The new event – “New York Forever: A Celebration of Our City” – will take place June 23 at The Glasshouse, one of the city’s most in-demand new venues with breathtaking waterfront and skyline views.
“There’s no city in the world like New York – and there’s no party in New York like REBNY’s brand-new annual event,” said REBNY Chairman Douglas Durst. “Just as our industry has always led New York’s economy into the future, we’re thrilled to bring this fresh look to the biggest night in real estate.”
Unlike REBNY’s past annual events, this year’s celebration will no longer be a black-tie affair. Guests will enjoy a night that packs as much flavor as The Big Apple itself at a dynamic networking reception featuring an open bar and a variety of culinary tastes from across the city.
The event’s food tasting experience will offer an array of canapés from top New York City chefs including guest chef Daniel Boulud, one of America’s leading culinary authorities, who will provide a taste of creative vegetable and seafood-focused cuisine from his newest restaurant, Le Pavillon at One Vanderbilt. Additional guest chefs will be announced in the coming weeks.
Beverage offerings will also be curated by Brooklyn Brewery, New York Distillery, and some of New York City’s top mixologists.
“The real estate and hospitality industries are both essential to the fabric that makes New York City such a unique place to live and work and such an unforgettable destination for visitors from across the world,” said chef Daniel Boulud. “I’m excited to join REBNY to celebrate the city and our collective efforts to create an even brighter future through the art, passion and community-minded spirit that guides us all forward.”
“As any New Yorker knows, it wouldn’t be a true celebration of our city without an incredible showcase of the tastes of the city,” said REBNY president James Whelan. “We can’t wait to welcome industry leaders and a wide array of other stakeholders to our new event as we continue working together to build a stronger and more equitable city for all.”
A portion of event proceeds will go to the REBNY Foundation, which is helping to increase diversity and inclusion in the real estate industry through ongoing initiatives such as the REBNY Fellows Leadership Program in partnership with Coro New York and REBNY’s Internship Program in partnership with Project Destined and the City University of New York (CUNY). The Foundation also supports ongoing efforts by Project Parachute – an initiative seeded by REBNY members in collaboration with the non-profit community – to provide rental assistance and other support to vulnerable New Yorkers impacted by the pandemic. The Foundation also supports ongoing work by the non-profit Building Skills New York to connect New Yorkers from historically underserved communities with good construction jobs and career opportunities.
Additionally, REBNY’s new partnership with the non-profit NY Forever on this year’s event will help to amplify the work of an array of citywide volunteer and philanthropic initiatives promoted through the NY Forever network. More news on fundraising and volunteer efforts will be announced by the REBNY Foundation and NY Forever in advance of the event.
"Since we began last January, we have dedicated ourselves to championing New York City's recovery from COVID-19 — rallying New Yorkers to show their pride in our city by showing up, volunteering and supporting organizations on the front lines,” said Emily Anadu, NY Forever board member. “Together we've helped hundreds of New Yorkers volunteer for community-based organizations and raised over $400,000 for our non-profit partners. We are excited to partner with the REBNY to continue to build on these efforts and ensure we are building back a better, more equitable New York City."
As in years past, the new event will also put a spotlight on REBNY’s annual honorees – the winners of the most prestigious awards in New York City real estate. This year's honorees include:
- The John E. Zuccotti Public Service Award: Presented to Hazel Dukes, president of the NAACP New York State Conference, for her unyielding courage and trailblazing work to advance the causes of social justice, racial equity and expanding access to economic opportunities for men and women of color throughout New York.
- The Bernard H. Mendik Lifetime Leadership in Real Estate Award: Presented to Tom Elghanayan, chairman and co-founder of TF Cornerstone Inc., for his exceptional accomplishments and invaluable contributions to New York and its real estate industry throughout a career that has spanned more than a half century and left indelible impacts on the city and its economy.
- The Harry B. Helmsley Distinguished New Yorker Award: Presented to Hal Fetner, president and CEO of Fetner Properties; Jeff Levine, founder and chairman of Douglaston Development; and David Picket, CEO of Gotham Organization; for their civic-minded ingenuity in conceiving the Project Parachute initiative, which has worked with the non-profit community to help thousands of vulnerable New Yorkers impacted by the COVID pandemic to remain safely housed by delivering rental assistance and other much-needed resources and support.
- The Kenneth R. Gerrety Humanitarian Award: Presented to Sarah Saltzberg, co-owner of Bohemia Realty Group, for her outstanding efforts to expand housing options for New Yorkers of all backgrounds by elevating the conversation on housing voucher access and working tirelessly to connect voucher-holders across the city with quality housing.
- The Louis Smadbeck Memorial Broker Recognition Award: Presented to Darcy Stacom, Chairman and Head of New York City Capital Markets at CBRE, for her incredible professional achievements at the forefront of the commercial brokerage community for more than 40 years and her ongoing efforts to increase diversity throughout the real estate industry.
- The George M. Brooker Management Executive of the Year Award: Presented to Frank Pusinelli, sr EVP, chief operating officer-operating assets at RXR Realty, for his industry-leading work across an expansive portfolio of commercial, residential and logistics assets, which has consistently raised the bar for management executives throughout New York City and contributed to the city’s ongoing path to long-term economic recovery.
- The Young Real Estate Professional of the Year Award: Presented to Laura Jackson, senior vice president, tax director, SL Green Realty Corp., for her incredible professional achievements as a rising star of the industry and for her civic leadership in founding the “She Builds” initiative to empower women in real estate to give back to the communities they serve.
For more information on “New York Forever: A Celebration of Our City,” including details on how to purchase tickets and secure sponsorship opportunities for the event, see here.